Christian Science is more than a church or a religion. Our members are devoted to studying and putting into practice what they learn in Christian Science because they have seen and experienced the healing results that it brings to their lives. You can read first-hand accounts from our own members on the “Reports of healing” page.
We are Christian and study The Bible to learn more about the teachings of Christ Jesus and to deepen our individual relationship with our Father-Mother God. Christian Science refers to the system of healing based on divine law that Jesus taught and demonstrated through his healing works and through his crucifixion, resurrection and ascension, which we can learn to demonstrate in our own lives.
For a deeper exploration of the what and how of Christian healing, we turn to Mary Baker Eddy’s textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. This book explains Christ Jesus’ teachings and healing works as a demonstrable science that we can all study and learn to practice.
Tenets of Christian Science
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Brief History of Christian Science
The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, MA was established in 1879, but Mary Baker Eddy had been studying The Bible and writing her book for many years before that. In 1866 she had a jarring fall on ice in Boston and was told by her doctor that she had sustained very serious injuries that he was unable to treat and that she would die within a few days. Upon asking for her Bible and reading from it, she experienced a quick healing and rose to join her friends who were waiting for news of her passing.
This experience was the catalyst for her urgent study of the scriptures to understand not only her own healing, but how Jesus and his disciples healed countless people of all types of disease and sin, and even raise some from the dead. She published the first edition of her textbook for Christian healing, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, in 1875 after she had begun teaching this healing method to other eager students, many of whom had been healed by her.
Each branch church is established as a democratically governed congregation of students of Christian Science in the community who want to join together in a church. Our church began in just that way in 1984.